Former Guns N’ Roses and The Cult drummer Matt Sorum said in a new interview on the 2 Hours With Matt Pinfield podcast that his upcoming book will be “the juiciest of the juiciest” of memoirs written by veterans of Guns N’ Roses, with the book set to explore not just his career as a musician but the sketchy way in which he made a living before he got his big break in music.
Sorum revealed, “Before I was in a rock band, I was a drug smuggler. I used to smuggle cocaine across borders. I’d fly on airplanes with two kilos strapped around my waist.” Sorum said he quit after a trip to Hawaii on which he was sure he was followed. He explained, “I told the guy that I flew this stuff for . . . ‘I can’t do this. I’m being followed.’ He’s like, ‘Oh, man, you’re just high.’ I’m like, ‘No, man. I’m not doing it. I’m going back to L.A.’ The guy that took my place got arrested. 20 years in a federal penitentiary, international drug smuggling. That would have been me.”
- Sorum replaced Steven Adler in Guns N’ Roses, recorded the highly successful 1991 albums Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II and 1993’s “The Spaghetti Incident?”, while touring extensively with the band for four years.
- Sorum was not invited to participate in Guns N’ Roses’ current “Not In Our Lifetime” reunion tour, although he was inducted as a member of the band into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2012.
In other new Guns news, singer Axl Rose attacked First Lady Melania Trump on Twitter, questioning her immigration status and dragging her as an “alleged former hooker.” Rose’s tweets were referring to recent news reports that the former Melania Knauss obtained an EB-1 visa from her native Slovenia in 2001.
The visa is awarded very rarely to individuals who “demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim.” Melania reportedly dropped out of college during her freshman year before becoming a model, so Rose and others question how she was awarded the so-called “Einstein Visa.”
- Axl wrote in his most scathing tweet, “Some alleged former hooker who got in on some ‘trumped up’ immigration con somehow deserves privacy cuz it ‘means so much to her?’ F**k this clown!!”
- He also called out U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) director Thomas Homan, essentially asking him to look into Melania’s visa by asking, “Where’s that ICE Nazi Homan when u need him?!”
- Axl has slammed the Trump Administration regularly on Twitter, going after Donald Trump himself, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner in recent times.